10 Year Hemo Mom Award

 
     Yesterday, my son, Marques turned 10!  I can't believe it, the time went so fast.  He is such a great son.   When I found out I was having a boy, I immediately went into worry mode.  Even though, I had my Dad available and ready to help with my questions,.... I still did not want to have a son with hemophilia.  I never thought of terminating the pregnancy or getting an amniocentesis to confirm he had hemophilia, I just took my 50/50 chance. 

     Even though I was hoping he did not have hemophilia, with my Father's help, I prepared in case he did.  I met with the Hematologist at the Hemophilia Clinic and was educated on hemophilia. The Hematologist sent information to my GYN on all the precautions that needed to be taken such as, not using forceps and using the cord blood during delivery to check for hemophilia.  I chose to have a C-section because my first pregnancy was a C-section and I didn't want to take any chances. 

     Unfortunately, in my case with all the preparedness that was done issues were not avoided.  I can remember waiting in the hallway for the Nurses to deliver the babies from the Nursery..they were a little late and I was getting impatient hence my reason for waiting in the hallway.  I was so excited that I almost claimed a baby boy that was not mine!  After I saw all the other babies delivered to their Mother's room, I became concerned.  The Hematologist I had seen during my pregnancy came to my room instead and informed me my son did have hemophilia and he was in the NICU.  Apparently, they did not test his cord blood but stuck him in both his wrist to test him, so he had a wrist bleed. I immediately broke down...so bad, they moved me to a private room.  Once I got myself together, I went down to sit with him in the NICU.  Both his wrist were wrapped up in huge ace bandages and on a splint attached to an IV.  I tell you, now looking back, I feel fortunate that hemophilia was the only reason he was there. 

     As I look back over the 10 years of raising my son with Hemophilia, yes there were some hard times...  His first major bleed was a head bleed from falling out of my bed when he was a year old....  The worry I felt when he went in surgery to get his port put in and I was out of town for work....  There were times we spent a week in the hospital due to port infections....  Emergency room visits due to other head traumas of running into walls or falling.  Yes, I have cried and prayed to get through these situations but we made it through all of them...thank God

     It's been 10 short years for a life I PRAY will be long.  It has been 10 years of staying EDUCATED on hemophilia.  It has been 10 years of being a PROTECTOR of my son but not over protecting him so he doesn't think hemophilia is a handicap.  It has been 10 years of not only him maturing quicker but myself;  putting on my big girl panties and DEALING with a situation instead of crying over it. 

     No..., It doesn't mean I have to stop doing these things because he's 10.  It doesn't mean that hemophilia gets easier because with each age brings a new awareness and/or situation.  I just think I and all my fellow Hemo Moms should get a:

 10 Year HemoMom Award.   
 
 
 
     The first 10 years is the hardest!  Now mind you, I know that my 10 years may have been easier than most...I have heard some horrible experiences...but we made it or you will make it. 

     So Happy 10th Birthday to my son but also Congratulations to me and every other Hemo Mom that made it through the first 10 years!

2 comments:

  1. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.
    I have been a patient of hemophilia for more then 26 years . I had tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over the years but I could not see any improvements in my symptoms. One day when going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from hemophilia,quickly i contacted him and he prepared a herbal medication for me which i received and used as instructed. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the pain and tightness in the joints stopped and the sores started to heal. I would recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from hemophilia.you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com.for advice and for his product THANKS TO YOU ONCE AGAIN DR WILLIAMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which your blood doesn't clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting
    proteins (clotting factors).
    If you have hemophilia,you may bleed for a longer time after an injury than you would if your
    blood clotted normally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...