Mistaken bleed

     I started this blog thinking I would not have enough content to even write about a bad bleed episode; but it was almost as soon as I hit the publish button on my last and first blog trouble began.....

     My husband and I noticed that Laithan was really fussy and kept trying to get something off his back.  I rubbed his back, wiped it with a rag and check it out to see what he was trying to get off.  I didn't see anything, but what ever it was kept coming back.  A few days later, I was changing his diaper and noticed a "bruise" right on the split of his butt cheek...ouch!!  Okay, so that is what has been bothering him and what he was trying to wipe off.  The "bruise" didn't stop him from playing or walking, but it was uncomfortable for him to sit down to eat and to get his diaper changed.  I gave him an extra dose of factor.  I did notice a drop of blood, however I couldn't tell where it was coming from.  I even held ice on the area a few times which he kept trying to hold himself..too cute.

     Then on day, I'm cooking dinner and I hear a fall and Laithan is crying, when I turned around  he was holding his butt.  The tears started rolling and he was crying loud, so I knew he must of fell on his "bruise".  As I picked him up, I heared another splat and his twin sister Layla was lying on her back....apparently she poured juice on the hardwood floors.  (It's funny how you respond differently to each child taking the same fall) 

     It was factor night anyway, so I decided to give Laithan two boxes because now the "bruise" was red and he would not let me put him down.  Then, I noticed he was very warm....which is not good when your child has a port (could be a sign of a line infection).  I started feeling everyone in the house, hopping that someone else would feel warm as well; no such luck. 

     After coming out of denial, I took his temperature and it was 102 degrees!!!!!  My husband was still in denial, just telling me to give him Tylenol and wait to see how he feels tomorrow before calling the doctor.  I knew better!  After dealing with a line infection with Marques (8), tomorrow would not make a difference... and everything I went through to get this line in.....I refuse to loose it. 

     So now on top of dealing with a "bruise" on his butt, I had to deal with a line infection in his port....did I mention we were trying to go on a vacation in 72 hours!!  Speeding up the story...when we finally see the emergency room doctor he looks at his "bruise" on the butt and says it's and ABSCESS!!! 
    


Laithan playing in hospital play room.

     Bingo..hence the reason for the sudden 102 fever, which mysteriously went away with no medicine before we hit the emergency room.  How in the world did he get an abscess!  They drained the abscess and took blood cultures from the port and admitted us into the hospital.  After 3 days on anti-biotics it was confirmed the abscess on his butt was positive for MRSA but the port was clean....thank the Lord.  I am totally at a lost about how he could of got MRSA.  The nurses kept telling me they have seen it a lot lately.  They said it could just happen from an open scratch in that area. 

     We were released from the hospital giving me 20hours to pack up 6 people to get ready for our 3 day beach vacation.  Laithan has to stay on anti-biotics for 10 days and get factor everyday until the area, where they drained the abscess, heals so Prophyholic HemoMom will be very busy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...