Being A "Normal" Boy



Swimming Safe Rating
    As a Prophyholic Hemo Mom, I consider myself fortunate because I know my Father's generation did not have access to factor in the home for major or minor bleeds or prophylaxis treatment.  I feel like with my boys being on Prophy, they have a "normal" life like other boys.  Until..., Marques (9..for another 5 days) comes in AGAIN and tells me he wants to play a sport like his friends. 

     Unfortunately, my son's sport of choice is football which is a huge No, No number 3 on the National Hemophilia Foundation Sports Ratings by Activity Chart.  Recent studies have also shown that football is dangerous for all boys, regardless if they have hemophilia, due to head injuries.   With the National Center of Sports Safety reporting that 23% of boys ages 5-14 playing football get injured, I think football with be on our family No, No list as well.

     With football taken off the table, Marques next choice is basketball.  Basketball is also high on the ratings list as a Moderate Dangerous 2.5!  I did talk to his Dr. about this prior to the summer and she said we could work his treatments around his practice and games.  I really haven't been aggressive in finding a place for him to play, but now he is pushing me. 

     I know that I am scared for him to experience a painful bleed in his joints from an injury.  He has been on prophy treatment since he was about 1 1/2 years old, so he does not know what  a bad bleed feels like.  I remember seeing my father hold bags of ice on his knees or elbows when he had a major bleed in his joints.  He had to get two knee replacements because his joints were destroyed and it was painful for him to walk.  Yes, I know we are a long way from that...but I still worry if Marques will develop a target joint bleed from a major fall on the court.  I have to come to terms that getting involved with a sport, I am opening him up to injury.

     He has joined his after school Archery group, which is a Safe number 1 on the ratings chart.  I think he joined so he could shoot something, since I won't buy him a Nerf gun.  I know Archery is not going to be enough for an active boy like him.  He is also getting bored with Boy Scouts, so we just made a deal to do it one more year.

Horseback Riding Moderate-Dangerious Rating

     I know that times have changed in the hemophilia community and there are many precautions that I will have to take so he can have a "normal" boyhood.  In a few years, Marques will be in middle school and he will want to play on the schools Basketball Team.  Who knows, maybe he will be the Star Player and I will be his biggest Cheerleader!

     Does your son play sports?  If so, were you worried? ...Or, are you worried for you son to play a sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...