Hemo Moms need X'ray vision

     Well, I thought I was going to have a simple Labor day weekend updating Marques room.   He is getting so big and turning 10 in a few weeks, so I thought it was time to move him into a queen size bed.  As much as I hate taking up space in his room with a bigger bed, I can't keep coming into his room through the night to put a limb back in the bed. 

     Everything was going great until we were trying to decide what bed frame to use.  We had one bed frame already in place on the floor but it was a full size frame.  In trying to put together the second bed frame to see if it was a queen, Laithan was hurt.

     My husband told me to hold the bed frame, which I did, but the other side broke free and went flying across the room.  Layla and Laithan, both sitting against the closet door trying to be out of the way, was in the line of fire.  Of course the bed frame hits Laithan in the HEAD!  My husband screamed so loud I froze for a minute before I yelled, "We need ice". 

     Of course, as luck would have it the accident happened before I could give him his factor on Saturday, since we missed factor for Friday.  His head swelled up so fast, I couldn't get the factor in him fast enough.


 
 
     I didn't call the Dr. but as I look at these pictures I'm posting, why didn't I?!!!  I didn't ....at the time because of several reasons.  The last time he hit his head they just ask did he faint, is he vomiting, or not acting normal.  I also know that they are more reluctant to do CT scans because of the increase of getting cancer.  My husband also felt like he didn't need to go.
 
     I watched him for all signs of problems for over 8 hours.  I gave factor every 12 hours for the next two days and  factor every 24 hours for the next 4 days.  His head was very tender and I didn't want to stop giving him factor until he didn't say, "ow", when I touched it. 
 
     I think in looking back at what happened, I should of called the Dr. to see if I could and should take him to the emergency room.  Head injuries in hemophiliacs are very serious and because I'm not a Dr. or have X-ray vision, I really didn't know if he was okay.  It is just too much pressure for me to worry if I am doing the right thing. 
 
     Hopefully, I did because he has been acting fine.  It's been a little over a week and he is still being his crazy normal self.  The area is still a little tender and you can still feel a bruise.  I thank God, that he took care of Laithan despite my choices. 
 
     Has your son had an injury where you chose your own treatment?  Do you regret the decision you made?  Do you call your treatment center for every issue?
 
      

2 comments:

  1. Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which your blood doesn't clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting
    proteins (clotting factors).
    If you have hemophilia,you may bleed for a longer time after an injury than you would if your
    blood clotted normally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which your blood doesn't clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting
    proteins (clotting factors).
    If you have hemophilia,you may bleed for a longer time after an injury than you would if your
    blood clotted normally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...