Independent heartache!

 
     My son at 11 just cooked his bowl of Ramen noodles by himself and my heart starting pulsating with …Well, I’m not quite sure with what!

     My first instinct is to say fear, but why would fear of him being able to make his own noodles make my heart pulsate?  He’s very responsible and I trust that he would pay attention to what he is doing.
   
     Could it have been shock?

      When I walked into the room he was already done, rinsing out the pot in the sink.  I know I was a little shocked, because I didn't realize my husband had been teaching him how to make his own noodles and he was READY to just go in the kitchen and cook without permission.

     I was probably cooking whole meals before I was 11, since my Mom worked at night, so why was it such a big deal that he made his own noodles?  Then it hit me, he is becoming independent!

     First it was this summer when he no longer needed me to self-infuse his factor and now this!    Two basic needs of survival that he doesn’t need me for anymore.  I guess that is why my heart started pulsating…I realized that the things he NEEDS from me are changing.    The past couple of months I've been noticing how mature he’s become and he’s even looking older!  He hit the 5’ mark and this is his last year in elementary school.  My heart is pulsating because my baby is turning into a pre-teen!  I’m sure future post are going to be about him testing the boundaries, but today I’ll just take slow breaths to slow down my heart and look forward to him finally ironing his own clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...