You Could Kill Him

    Could you imagine having a child you could not bear hug?!  That's like having corn flakes but no milk, pizza with no cheese or music without rhythm! I think I bear hug my children several times a day!  


     Unfortunately, that was not the reality for Hemophilia Mothers in the 1960's, per the below Newspaper photo description.  It actually saddens me to think that my Grandmother would have been scared to bear hug my father, for fear that she could kill him.

     Thankfully, this is no longer the belief and with regular prophy treatment it should no longer be a concern!  Not giving my son a bear hug after "factor time" is not something neither of us could do without.


Photo found on ebay for $27.00

 Release in AM’S 1/14 For use with UPI “Woman to Woman” Story by Patricia McCormack.    NXP1363652-1/14/62 New York: Virginia Strohbach can’t give her son , Timmy, 4, all the bear  hugs he deserves.  Bear hugs could kill Timmy – sick with hemophilia. Mrs. Strohbach, of Miami  FL. (shown with youngster) and her husband, Carl, were in New York to help Timmy accept an  honor, a title “National Poster Child” for the 1963 fund-raising drive of the National Hemophilia  Foundation.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments or sharing your own stories:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...